Japan needs our help. 400 miles of coastline of Northern Japan was completely destroyed and in some cases literally wiped off the map. More than 350,00 have lost their homes, more than 1 million are without ample food, more than 2 million without water and who knows how many without medicine. Flu and infectious diseases/viruses are spreading in the shelters. It is winter and there is no gas/kerosine to heat homes/shelters. A lot of roads are still impassable. The sun will rise again, but Japan needs our help… Please take a look at these photos to see the devastation and horror that the earthquake and tsunami caused. The first 20 are courtesy of The New York Times and the last three from National Geographic.
After organizing a successful March Madness for Japan (we raised $900! Thanks again to the 40+ people that participated) I have been working on another charity for event for Japan. This time it is a raffle and auction that will coincide with Raleigh’s First Friday, April 1st, 2011. Join me at Isaac Hunter’s at 6pm on Friday, April 1st to raise money for the relief effort in Japan. We’ll be raffling off tons of great prizes, including gift certificates to some of your favorite restaurants and stores. There will also be a silent auction for for some original artwork and handmade purses. Come out to support Japan, have some food, maybe a drink or two and also, enjoy some very cool artwork by local artist Rick White.
You can buy Raffle tickets here online or at the event. Tickets online start at $15 and this gets you 10 tickets. You can put all your tickets toward one prize or you split it up on multiple prizes. For every $15 you donate, you will get an additional 10 raffle tickets. If you can not come to the event, you must contact Evan by 1pm Friday April 1st with how you would like to distribute your raffle tickets or if you plan on bidding on one of the auction items, which one and how much you are willing to pay.
See the list below and check back as there might be late additions!
Prizes for the Raffle:
- $50 Gift Certficate to Neo-Asia (formally Neo-China) Neo-Asia has created a world in which you can indulge yourself in unique culinary art, distinctive décor, the soothing atmosphere and the unparalleled service you will receive each and every time you walk through their doors!
- $50 Gift Certficate to Sushi Thai in Cary, serving both lunch and dinner, Sushi Thai offers a variety of lunch specials in addition to a children’s menu. Choose from Japanese teriyaki and tempura dishes and Thai rice and noodles.
- (2) $50 Gift Certificates to Red Dragon in Raleigh (two winners chosen)!
- $50 Gift Certficate to Jill’s Beach, the Triangle’s premiere tanning destination. With 5 locations and offering a variety of services, including spray and UV tanning.
- (2) Gift Certificates each one valid for 2 Ultimate Curry Bowls at Martin’s Curry Rice (two winners will be chosen) Chef Martin’s creative genius blends authentic Thai, Indian, and Japanese recipes to cater to American tastes and come up with unique and outstanding sauces. The signature curries are the Red, Yellow, and Green Curries.
- 10 Free Individual Meal Gift Certificates from Teriyakin’ Delicious. Winners can choose any plate meal from the menu including “The Works” which is worth $9.95. (multiple winners for this one)
- Gift Certificate to Cold Stone Creamery
- $15 Gift Certificate to Dunkin’ Donuts
- 6 large jars of various products from Bertie County Peanuts (6 winners will be chosen), They have been in business since 1919 so they know what makes a good peanut!!
- (2) 8×10 matted prints from photographer Mary Beth Short (2 winners will be chosen)
- (5) 8×10 framed prints from Evan Pike Photography from the “Experience Japan” Series. (5 winners will be chosen)
- Exciting card game, “Cabo” with the cards illustrated by Adam Peele.
- Originally silk screen printed on wood by Adam Peele.
- Handmade Coin Purses by Chiharu Terada (multiple drawings for multiple prizes)
Prizes for the Auction:
All donations collected will go towards either Direct Relief International or Architecture for Humanity, both of which have funds where 100% will go towards Japan and both have 4 star ratings on Charity Navigator.